MKV Tag Editor
MKV Tag Editor is a powerful MKV, MKA, MKS and MK3D tag editor for Matroska container video and audio files.
MKV Tag Editor is a shareware software. Unregistered version is a fully functional 25 day trial version with a 50 taging limit. If you like this software please register.
- Edit Matroska tags in MKV, MKA, MKS and MK3D files
- Edit tags for chapters
- Manage cover arts
- Search for and download movie details and poster from The Movie Data Base with a couple of clicks
- Batch tag series video files each with individual details and poster from The Movie Data Base with a couple of clicks
- Batch rename files by their tags
- Powerful search functionality to find video and audio files in your library
- Context menu integration, quickly edit tags from Windows File Explorer by just right mouse button clicking on file(s)
- UI DPI scaling support
- Full unicode support
Details list mode
In details list mode right mouse button click on the column headers to pop-up the options menu.
Hide default or add custom columns as needed.
- The default target when editing audio files (MKA) is 30 (song/track), in case of video files (MKV, MK3D) the default target is 50 (episode/movie). More info about target types.
Some software treat the target 30 as the base level, eg. a movie's title as target 30 TITLE tag. This seems out of specs (check the link above), but if you wish just change the "edit target" combobox to target 30 before editing a movie file's tags if needed.
To change an existing file's tags, use the tree-view editor, and change the needed branch's "Target type value" tag from 50 to 30 if needed.
- At the upper-right corner of the detailed tag editor windows the track UID can be selected.
In case of a movie file usually the UID 1 is the video stream, UID 2 is the audio (there can be multiple video, or more common, audio streams in the file).
If a track UID is selected the detailed tag editor sets the tags for the selected UID (and the selected target).
It's also possible, if you know the track UIDs, to enter a value, eg. "1", and hit enter to create (set) any new track UID tags.
- Sort order tags are only written if the according main tag is present. Eg. title sort order is only written if title is also set (before editing the sort order tag).
- When editing chapter tags (the chapter list is visible), if no chapter is selected the tags are edited for the selected edition, when a chapter is selected the tags are edited for the selected chapter.
When the context is modified, eg. a chapter is selected then the tags are re-displayed for the selected chapter, or if chapter list is deselected the context switches to editing currently selected edition's tags.
If the chapter list is closed the context switches to normal (non-chapter) mode.
- Importing a complete tags structure for multiple selected files is only available with the tree-view editor. The detailed tag editing for multiple files will only update the currently selected target in them.
- Selecting a target will not affect the following tags (they are always set to the target specified below):
- Total tracks: 'TOTAL_PARTS' - '50'
- CD: 'PART_NUMBER' - '50'
- Total CDs: 'TOTAL_PARTS' - '60'
More info on tags in general:
- TV network: 'TV_NETWORK' - '70'
- Show title: 'TITLE' - '70'
- Show year: 'YEAR' - '70'
- Season number: 'PART_NUMBER' - '60'